The Limitations of SkypeTweet
Date: Oct 10, 2009 | Views: 3762 | Comments: 0
Skype is considered to have two main weaknesses which may hamper them from being able to dominate the world of telecommunications, regardless of what the supporters of Skype are trying to say. Firstly, only a number of people would truly be able to do away with their original phones in exchange of a Skype connection that is linked to a PC. There are newer kinds of telephone handsets which are equipped with connectors for USB ports which in turn makes Skype almost similar to the regular use of phones. It is possible that Skype will continue to be a product that only targets a certain group of people, but this niche may still grow as long as the downloads continue to grow.
Secondly, the proprietary nature of Skype may damage the perception of people towards Skype. Some people, like for instance those who are not solely using Skype may not like the way the prevention of Skype from recognizing open standards and values. Aside from this, there may be companies who do not like the way of Skype wherein it worms its way to the company’s firewalls.
There are 2 other companies who offer almost the same kind of services as Skype and these are SIPphone and the other one is FreeWorldDialup, however these two only get a very small share comparing it to the market share that Skype is able to get. Even if these two would not be able to put the market share of Skype at risk, both may still have the means to urge Skype to get involved with more common features. Despite not being able to monopolize the world of telecommunications, it is still capable of making the top-quality connections when it comes to phone calls without any charge at all, making it the “lowest” price ever.
There may possibly be a lot of people wondering how Skype works, and why is there a need to make use of it if for instance someone decides to put up a business which is home-based. Skype has about 443 million accounts and majority of those people may have already started their own business at the comfort of their homes. Now, this discussion would provide 8 best reasons as to why Skype should be used.
1) Skype may be used on other websites, and you may incorporate the use of Skype with other social networking web sites, and through this it would now becoming easier for you to get in touch with your friends, and more importantly, potential customers or even business partners.
2) You don’t have to pay for anything when you use Skype because it is for free. You would be able to talk to millions of Skype users, free of charge. All you need to do is download the Skype software and prepare the headset and microphone that you are going to use.
3) Skype offers Voicemail as long as you have the Unlimited Worldwide package of Skype. It would certainly be to your advantage to have a voicemail solely for your business since this allows you to organize things and all of the things separated with personal stuff.
4) You have to get to have a phone number for your business. Through this, you no longer have to provide your personal number which again allows you to separate your personal life with your business endeavor. This will surely be great since the calls intended for your business will only get calls directly from this number. You just have to pay $12 for every 3 months, since you would be getting a phone number for online use.
5) It is very affordable to make calls with the use of Skype, wherever you may be calling. If you need to make numerous calls in order to transact business, then you may avail of Skype’s Unlimited World, which only costs $9.95 every month. It would definitely more expensive for you if you would make calls with the use of a telephone or mobile phone.
6) When you start using Skype, you would be able to create groups or what they call, Skype Groups. The groups serve as chat rooms, wherein you have the option to keep it private, or simply make it public. It would be beneficial for you to create groups most especially when it comes to building a team who would be helping you with your business. Through it, you and your team would be able to interact in an organized manner and get to ask and answer questions.
7) As long as you have a web cam, you would be able to make use of Skype Video and chat at the same time. Through Skype Video, you may now communicate to your team more effectively and you would now have the means to make a personal connection without having to physically meet them.
8) Even if you are out of your home, you would now be able to make use Skype through your mobile phone, which means that even if you are somewhere else you may still keep in touch with your clients or team members.
These reasons simply go to show how important it really is to make use of Skype, particularly for the business that you wish to do at home. You just have to go to Skype.com to download the software for free.